Sunday 8 October 2023

There are No Natural Disasters


After seeing a post by Sanjaya Elvitigala on the responsibilities of NSF I thought of writing this short note. 

For the last 12 years even after leaving Sri Lanka for good, I wrote several articles in both languages, on the serious risk of natural extreme events in Sri Lanka. If anyone is interested I can give the links to my blog articles (I lost track of newspaper articles). Even last month returning from Sri Lanka after a 3-week visit, I tweeted on FB that there is a danger that climate disaster will soon overtake political catastrophe in Sri Lanka. Several asked whether it is about the prolonged drought but I said that the issue is much graver than that. 

Despite being a person not involved with disaster management, I could sense the approaching nature's wrath. Then why couldn’t the responsible people of the country take reasonable action?

As I always say there is nothing called “natural disasters”. There are “natural extreme events” and “human disasters”. We can’t stop nature but minimize human catastrophe if we are wise and smart.  



No comments:

Post a Comment